- Place the panettone in a 1.75 litre (3pt) capacity serving dish and pour over 100ml (4floz) of the sherry to moisten the bread. Set aside.
- Put the fruit in a pan with the spices and 2 tbsp of sugar and bring to a simmer, stirring, for a bout 5 minutes until the sugar has melted and the juices have been released.
- Mix 1 tbsp of the juice with with 2 tsp of the cornflour then add back to the pan and continue to heat for a few more minutes until the juice is syrupy. Leave to cool.
- To make the zabaglione, whisk the egg yolks and remaining sugar and cornflour into a bowl. Bring half the cream and the remaining sherry to a simmer in a pan.
- Whisking continuously , pour the heated cream into the egg mix, return everything to the pan and heat, whisking, until it just starts to thicken. As soon as it does, quickly remove it from the heat, transfer to a clean bowl and cool by setting the bowl into one filled with iced water. Whisky occasionally so the custard cools quickly, then lay a piece of clingfilm on the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Place in the fridge for 1 hour to firm up.
- Spoon the spiced fruit over the panettone then pour over the zabaglione. Chill in the fridge until you're ready to serve, then whip the remaining cream to soft peaks and spoon on to the zabaglione. Decorate with pistachios and pomegranate seeds.
Recipe from Morrisons
For more tasty recipes see Yours Magazine, out every fortnight.
A great Christmas recipe that uses up leftover panettone
125g (4 1/2 oz) panettone 250ml (10floz) cream sherry 500g (1lb 2oz)frozen black forest mix thawed 1 tsp cinnamon ½ tsp allspice 3 tbsp sugar 4 tsp cornflour 5 egg yolks 600ml (21floz) double cream 2 tbsp pistachios 2 tbsp pomegranate seeds
Time: 30 mins Serves: 10 Nutrition: n/a