- Cut the cake into 3–4 long slices, then into triangles (or little houses, if you prefer) and use to line the base and sides of a large glass serving dish.
- Grate the zest from 2 of the oranges. With a serrated knife, remove the peel and any white pith from all of the oranges. Cut away the segments so that they are free of skin, working over a bowl to catch any juice.
- Measure all the orange juice to give 150ml, making it up with extra juice if necessary, then mix the juice with the sherry. Reserve 5 tbsp of this mix for the syllabub and pour the remainder over the ginger cake.
- Arrange the orange segments over the cake and spoon over the custard to cover the fruit.
- Whisk the cream until just thickened then whisk in the grated orange zest, caster sugar and reserved juice and sherry mix.
- Whisk until thick enough to just hold its shape. Drop spoonfuls over the custard to cover completely. Scatter with the toasted chopped pistachios and chill until ready to serve.
Recipe from Waitrose Groceries
There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
Decorate with little ginger-cake houses for something different
1 Stem Ginger Loaf Cake 5 oranges, plus extra juice as necessary 5 tbsp Pedro Ximénez Sherry or other sweet sherry 500g pot Madagascan Vanilla Custard 200ml double cream 2 tbsp caster sugar 25g toasted, chopped pistachios, to decorate
Time: 25 minytes plus chilling Serves: 8-10 Nutrition: n/a