- 500g (1 lb) jersey royals baby new potatoes
- 15g (¾) dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 echalion shallot, sliced
- 500g (1 lb) chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 250g (9 oz) shortcrust pastry blocks, defrosted
- Beaten egg, to glaze
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Put the potatoes in a pan of water to just cover, bring to the boil and simmer for 12–15 minutes until just tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking, pour 150ml boiling water over the porcini mushrooms and leave to soak for 5 minutes. Drain, reserving the liquid, and chop the mushrooms.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and add the shallot, all the mushrooms and garlic. Coo over a medium high heat for 5 minutes until softened.
- Drain the potatoes and slice thickly. Add to the mushrooms in the pan with the reserved mushroom liquor and thyme. Bring to simmering point, season, then spoon the contents of the pan into a small roasting tin about 28x21x4cm. Leave to cool.
- Roll out the pastry so that it is just larger than the roasting tin. Lift on top of the mushroom mixture and gently push down the sides, leaving the cut edges facing upwards.
- Brush the pastry with beaten egg and cook for 25 minutes until the pastry is golden.
Preparation time: 30 mins
Nutrition: 228 calories, 14g fat, 1.8g sugar, 0.2g salt (sat fat 7.3g)
Use a small, but deep baking container and serve with a side of your favourite vegetables!