- Pour one bottle of red wine into a large pan, place on the stove top and heat on a low heat making sure you don’t boil the wine. Also, be careful to make sure the pan is much larger than the gas hob, as escaping alcohol fumes from the wine can ignite outside the pan if this isn’t the case.
- Add in 1-2 cinnamon sticks and 1 vanilla pod
- Peel the orange and stud with 7-8 cloves and place the peel in the wine
- Add a couple of star anise pods
- Add sweetener (sugar/honey/agave syrup) to taste, do this slowly as it’s easy to increase sweetness, but very difficult to decrease
- Stir and taste constantly (the good part) until your batch is ready
- Ladle into mugs
- Decorate with red currents or cinnamon sticks
Recipe from Steve Manktelow from Goat, Chelsea www.goatchelsea.com.
There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
Warm up those winter nights with a batch of mulled wine
A nice light red wine, something with lots of fruit and fewer tannins works best Sugar/honey/agave syrup Cloves Cinnamon sticks Vanilla pod Star anise Firm oranges
Time: 15 minutes Serves: 6 Nutrition: n/a