- Prepare the boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
- Combine golden syrup, maple syrup and water in a stainless steel saucepan. Add sugar and place over medium heat, stirring until dissolved.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat and boil gently, stirring constantly, until the syrup begins to thicken, about 15 minutes. Stir in the walnuts and cook for 5 minutes.
- Ladle the hot syrup into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rim. Centre lid on jar. Apply band until the fit is fingertip tight.
- Process jars in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude.
- Remove jars and cool. Check the lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when centre is pressed.
For more recipes that will inspire you to preserve head over Ball Fresh Preserving.
If you want recipes for treats that you can give away as gifts this Christmas, grab the latest Yours magazine, out every fortnight.
Homemade maple syrup is a brilliant gift to give nearer the Christmas period
354ml golden syrup 236ml pure maple syrup 118ml cup water 100g granulated sugar 230g walnut pieces 4x 240ml Quilted Crystal preserving jars with lids and bands
Time: 15 minutes Serves: 4 Nutrition: n/a