- For the apple crumble topping, preheat the oven to 160°C/Gas Mark 3.
- Blend all of the ingredients in a processor until the mixture has a breadcrumb like texture. Pour out the crumble on a baking tray and place in the oven and cook for 30-40 minutes, remembering to stir the mixture at 10 minutes intervals.
- When the mixture is golden brown take it out of the oven and leave to cool. For the apple filling, core and peel the apples then cut them into 3-4cm sized pieces .
- Heat up the butter in a heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat. When it starts foaming, drop in the apple pieces. Gently cook until the apple is just becoming tender usually around 5-8 minutes, once ready add the sugar and blackberries then continue cooking for a another 8-10 minutes.
- Take an ovenproof dish and spoon all the filling into it. Now casually sprinkle over the crumble topping. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Serve with with your choice of hot custard, cream, vanilla ice-cream or all of the above.
If your craving classic British puds, grab yourself a copy of the lastest Yours, full of recipes to test your kitchen skills.
This recipe is from michelin star chef Adam Grey. For more Great British Chef recipes like the one above, visit www.greatbritishchefs.com for recipes, news and editorial from Britain's best chefs.
If you're bored of crumble toppings, try granola mixed with some nuts and seeds
Apple crumble topping: 250g of plain flour 170g of butter 110g of macadamia nuts 110g of almond, nibbed 110g of demerara sugar 4 drops of vanilla extract salt Apple crumble filling: 4 granny smith apples 50g of butter 200g of blackberries 50g of sugar To plate: 1 dollop of custard
Time: 10 mins Serves: 6 Nutrition: n/a