- To toast the seeds either heat the oven to 180°C, spread them on a baking tray and toast them in the oven for 5–7 minutes, stirring once, or until lightly toasted. Alternatively you can toss them in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick saucepan or flameproof casserole over a medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and fry for 7–8 minutes. Be sure to cook your onions until they’re golden-brown, it adds loads of extra flavour.
- Stir in the smoked paprika and fry for 30 seconds then add the red lentils and sweet potato and stir for a minute.
- Pour in 700ml boiling water, stir in the bouillon and increase the heat to high. Once the stew is bubbling give it a stir then reduce the heat to low-medium. Cover the pan and cook for 20 minutes, stirring every now and then. You might need to add a splash more boiling water; you’re aiming for a nice, thick stew but still with a bit of liquid.
- Check the lentils and potato are tender and season to taste. Stir in the spinach, turn off the heat and leave to rest for a minute.
- Spoon into bowls and scatter over the pumpkin seeds and coriander. Top with a tablespoon of yoghurt if you like and serve with the lime wedges on the side to squeeze over.
Image: Matt Russell.
Recipe from Mind over Fatter, by Anna Richarson, published by Headline, £16.99.
There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
The split red lentils don't need any soaking and cook in the stew in about fifteen minutes.
10g pumpkin seeds 2 teaspoons mild olive oil 1 medium onion, sliced 1 clove garlic, finely chopped 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika or 1?2 teaspoon chipotle chilli powder 150g dried split red lentils, rinsed in water 300g sweet potato, skin left on, cut into 2cm chunks 2 teaspoons vegetable bouillon powder pinch of flaked sea salt, such as Maldon freshly ground black pepper 100g baby spinach large handful fresh coriander, tender stalks and leaves chopped, plus a few leaves to garnish 2 tablespoons unsweetened natural yoghurt (about 4% fat) (optional) 1 lime, cut into wedges
Time: 20 mins Serves: 2 Nutrition: n/a