- Heat oven to 200°C/400°F fan/Gas Mark 6. Put the chicken in a large roasting tin and rub it with 1 garlic half. Drizzle with oil, then stuff the cavity with thyme, 1 lemon half and the garlic just used.
- Cut the other lemon half in two and put in the tin with the rest of the garlic.
- Cover with foil and roast for 40 mins, then remove the foil and spoon over the hot juices. Arrange the broccoli in the tin and cook for a further 20-30 mins.
- To check the chicken is cooked, pierce the thigh – the juices should run clear. Re-cover with foil and set aside.
- Put the potatoes in a pan of boiling water and simmer for 7-10 mins until tender. Drain, and mash with the soft cheese.
- Transfer the chicken to a serving plate and discard the lemon and garlic. Skim the fat from the juices and pour the liquid into a jug.
- Carve the chicken and serve along with the mashed potato and broccoli. Drizzle over the juices.
Recipe BBC Good Food: 14-Day Healthy Eating Diet, priced £4.99
Costs £1.12 per serving
There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
Mix leftover cooked chicken with 3 tbsp of mayonnaise, a pinch of mild curry powder and a few sultanas for a tasty sandwich filling
1 small free-range chicken, about 1kg (2lb 4oz) 2 garlic cloves, halved 1 tsp rapeseed oil Small bunch thyme 1 lemon, halved 1 small head broccoli, about 200g(7oz) cut into small florets 200g (7oz) sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed 1 tbsp low-fat soft cheese
Time: 15 minutes Serves: 4 Nutrition: 369 Cals, 12g Fat, 4g Sat Fat