- For the Madeira loaf, heat the oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3. Butter and line the base of a 900g loaf tin with greaseproof paper. Beat together the sugar and butter with an electric whisk or beater until light, creamy and fully combined. Increase the speed and add the eggs one at a time.
- Add the vanilla extract and lemon zest, and beat in the flour and ground almonds until fully incorporated, and you have thick batter. It should fall off a wooden spoon, so add a splash of milk and combine further, if it needs loosening up a bit.
- Tip the batter into the prepared tin and smooth over.
- Bake for around 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean, and there's a good colour to the crust.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool for around 15 minutes, then remove from the tin, peel away the paper, and allow it to cool completely on a wire rack.
- For the trifle, empty the quark into a large mixing bowl, and add 6 tsp of lemon curd. Beat with a wooden spoon so it's fully combined.
- Cut a slice of Madeira cake, then roughly cut into big cubes. Line the bottom of each of your individual trifle glasses with some cubes. Then for each glass, heat 2 tsp of lemon curd in the microwave for no more than 10 seconds to loosen it up, and pour over this sponge layer.
- Take half of the quark and lemon curd mixture, and split between each of the four glasses. Then add a layer of fresh blueberries.
- Take more cake cubes, and add another layer to each glass. Then repeat heating 2 tsp of lemon curd for each, and pour over the cake cubes.
- Finally, finish with the rest of the lemon curd and quark mixture split across the four glasses. Decorate with a ring of blueberries around the edge of the glass, and a sprinkling of almond slivers.
Recipe courtsey of Stork.
For more recipes, grab the latest Yours magazine.
Jazz up the classic fruit and cream combo with this lemon and blueberry version
175g Stork with butter 175g golden caster sugar 3 large eggs Zest from one unwaxed lemon Few drops of vanilla extract 200g self-raising flour 50g ground almonds For the trifle About 4 slices of madeira loaf 500g quark Appx. 2 tsp of lemon curd Appx. 200g fresh blueberries Almond slivers
Time: 15 mins Serves: 4 Nutrition: n/a