- Preheat the oven to 170C/325F/ Gas Mark 3.
- Heat the oil in a large casserole with a lid. Add the meat and fry over a high heat until browned on all sides (you may have to do this in batches).
- Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the onions and carrots to the pan and cook for 3-4 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Return the lamb to the pan and pour over the stock. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce and thyme sprigs and season.
- Arrange the potatoes over the top and dot the butter (if using) over them. Season, then cover and transfer to the oven. Cook for 1½ hours, then remove the lid and cook for a further 1 hour.
- Serve with seasonal green vegetables.
Recipe from www.waitrose.com
A hearty and warming classic stew, perfect when served with seasonal vegetables
1 tbsp olive oil 750g (1lb 10oz) diced lamb 2 onions, sliced 2 carrots, cut into chunky pieces 500ml (16 floz) lamb stock 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce 2 sprigs fresh thyme 750g (1lb 10oz) potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced 15g (1/2 oz) butter, optional
Time: 15 mins Serves: 4 Nutrition: 578 cals Fat 25.7g (sat fat 10.0g)