- Put a heavy based medium saucepan on medium heat and add half the butter. Once melted add the selected sage leaves and cook until crisp, stirring the whole time, making sure they don’t burn. Remove from the pan and sit on a plate.
- Add the remaining butter, onion, garlic, ginger, fennel seeds and remaining sage and cook over medium heat until the onion is caramelised – stirring frequently.
- Add the lamb and cook it, stirring well to break it up and avoiding lumps.
- Once it’s browned add the mushrooms and carrot and cook 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and then rinse each of the cans out with half a can of water and add this to the pan as well. Mix in the brown sauce and ½ tsp fine salt. Bring to the boil. Put a lid on the pan, reduce the heat to low and cook 45 mins, stirring several times to prevent it sticking to the bottom.
- Take the lid off and continue cooking until excess liquid has evaporated – around 10 mins. When it’s almost ready stir in the olives and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook the pasta as per packet instructions and drain. Return to the pot you cooked it in then mix in 1/3 of the ragu and half the parmesan. Divide amongst 4 warmed bowls.
- Spoon the remaining ragu on top and scatter with the spring onions. Sprinkle on the remaining parmesan and fried sage leaves.
This recipe is from Peter Gordon in partnership with Beef + Lamb New Zealand.
For more Yours recipes, grab the latest copy, in stores now.
A yummy lamb ragu thats perfect for a Friday night in with a bottle of wine. Swap out lamb for a half and half mixture of puy lentils and quorn mince
1kg NZ lamb mince, at room temperature 50g butter (or use olive oil) 30 sage leaves, keep the 12 best looking ones separate 1 large red onion, thinly sliced 2 cloves garlic, chopped 1 tsp ginger, finely chopped 1 tsp fennel seeds (or cumin seeds) 150g mushrooms, sliced (portabella, chestnut, field or shiitake) 1 large carrot, peeled and coarsely grated 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes 3 tbsp brown sauce 100g olives (green or black, whole or pitted) 500g tagliatelle 80g parmesan cheese, finely grated 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
Time: 15 minutes Serves: 6 Nutrition: n/a