- Blend ginger, papaya, oil and coriander, then mix in the chillies and yogurt.
- Remove fat and/or meat from top 2 inches of the chop and flatten out meat, removing any extra fat.
- Coat with marinade and chill in sealed bag for at least 4 hours.
- Sear over high heat, then grill for around 10 minutes on medium heat, then a further 5 on low. Keep turning to prevent burning and baste with melted butter.
- Season with salt & pepper and leave to rest for a few minutes before serving.
Recipe and photograph by Brian George, creator of Gastro Alfresco and National BBQ Week, now both in their 18th year! www.gastro-alfresco.co.uk
This recipe is a variation on a dish picked up at a small roadhouse on the way out of Bondi - but the variation enhances the flavour
6 Best-end lamb chops (bone in) 50g (2oz) ginger, grated 1 ripe papaya, peeled and rough chopped 30g (2 1/4oz) bunch of fresh coriander, finely chopped 50ml (2f.oz) extra virgin olive oil 2 or 3 hot green chillies, finely chopped and deseeded 100ml (3 1/2fl.oz) thick plain yogurt 30g (2 1/4oz) unsalted butter
Time: 20 minutes, plus several hours chilling Serves: 2 Nutrition: n/a