- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the puff pastry to 5–6mm thick. Using your larger cutter or template, cut out six heart shapes. Place on a baking sheet lined with non-stick baking paper and brush each one with beaten egg yolk.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/ 400°F/Gas Mark 6. Dust your work surface with icing sugar and roll out the marzipan to about 4mm thick. Cut out six hearts, using the smaller cutter or template. Place your marzipan hearts on top of the pastry.
- Arrange a handful of berries or sliced fruit on each marzipan heart. Brush the fruit with melted butter and sprinkle with the caster sugar.
- Bake in the oven for 15–20 mins or until the pastry is golden and the fruit has begun to caramelise. Serve warm.
- Recipes from The Higgidy Cookbook by Camilla Stephens is published by Quercus at £16.99.
There are more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
These delicious tarts can be pulled together almost entirely from the storecupboard, using a pack of puff pastry, some marzipan and any fruit you have in the bowl
375g (12oz) all-butter puff pastry A little plain flour, for dusting 1 medium egg yolk, lightly beaten Icing sugar, for dusting 175g ( 6oz) white marzipan A small selection of fruit: berries, freshly sliced nectarines, peeled and sliced eating apples 25g (1oz) butter, melted 3 tbsp caster sugar
Time: 15 mins Serves: 6 Nutrition: n/a