- Grease a 1.2 litre (2 pt) baking dish with a little butter.
- Melt the remaining butter in a pan and gently fry the leek for 4-5 minutes.
- Cut bread into triangles, then layer half in the base of the dish.
- Scatter half the leeks and all the ham on top, then sprinkle with half the cheese. Arrange the remaining bread on top.
- Beat the eggs and milk together. Season. Pour evenly over the bread, then scatter the remaining leeks on top.
- Sprinkle with cheese, cover and leave to stand for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 190°C/35°F/Gas Mark 5.
- Remove cover and bake pudding for 30-35 minutes, until and golden brown.
© The British Cheese Board, www.britishcheese.com
There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
Try using up slightly stale bread, as the drier texture will soak up more moisture
25g (1oz) butter 1 large leek, thinly sliced 6 thin slices white bread 75g (3oz) cooked ham, chopped 150g (6oz) Lancashire cheese, grated or crumbled 3 eggs, beaten 600ml (1pt) milk Freshly ground black pepper
Time: 40 mins Serves: 4 Nutrition: 482 cals, 26g fat, 16g sat