Serves 6-8 Prep: 30mins Cook: 30 minutes
250g ready rolled shortcrust pastry
1 tbsp English mustard
100g cooked shredded ham hock
2 Mrs Elswood Hot Dill Cucumbers, sliced
100g extra mature cheddar, finely grated
200ml double cream
150ml whole milk
4 medium eggs, beaten
1 tbsp fresh chives, finely chopped
Salt and pepper to season
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan. Unroll the shortcrust party and use to line a 23cm loose bottomed flan tin and chill for 15 minutes. Prick the base with a fork and line with baking paper, fill with baking beans. Place on a baking tray and bake for 20 minutes, remove the parchment and beans and return to the oven for 5 minutes until the base is cooked. Allow to cool slightly.
2. Reduce the oven temperature to 180C/160C Fan.
3. Brush the base of the pastry case with the English mustard, scatter over the cheddar, ham hock, and the hot dill cucumbers.
4. Beat together the double cream, milk, eggs, chives and season well. Pour the mixture over the cheese and ham mix and return to the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes until just set. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin before removing. Cut into wedges and serve.
- Recipe courtesy of Mrs Elswood, the UK’s number one pickled cucumber brand and one of the official sponsors of National Picnic Week 2017 (16th - 25th June). For more information about Mrs Elswood, visit https://www.MrsElswoodUK.com/.