- Place the gammon in a large pan, cover with water, add carrot, onion, celery, bay leaf and peppercorns. Bring to the boil and then turn down to a low simmer for 2 hours 40 minutes.
- When nearly ready to eat preheat the oven to 180?c and mix the gammon glaze ingredients in a bowl.
- Cut the layer of fat off the gammon then, where the fat was, stud with the cloves.
- Brush over the glaze and put in the oven for about 25/30 minutes.
- 5 minutes before serving start your poached eggs, use a medium saucepan and fill with just about an inch of water. When it is a rolling boil, add a capful of white wine vinegar. Crack your egg into a small cup or bowl and then pour into the pan. Cook for approx. 2-3 minutes. If you want to have these prepared in advance place the poached eggs into a bowl of iced water, and then place on a plate or small baking tray, then when you need them place into a pan of boiling water on a slotted spoon for about 30 seconds.
- When ready remove the gammon from the oven, allow to rest for 5 minute and then carve. Serve the gammon in the centre of the plate with the warm poached Eggs For Soldiers egg on top.
- This recipe was created by Lisa Faulkner, made using Eggs for Soldiers – a Help for Heroes endorsed product that donates 15p from every pack sold to the charity. For more information on Lisa’s exclusive Eggs For Soldiers recipes click here.
There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
This recipe is ideal for a cosy start to Christmas Eve!
4kg unsmoked gammon joint 1 carrot (cut in half) 1 onion (in half at root) 1 stick of celery 1 bay leaf 7 peppercorns 10-12 eggs For the glaze: 8 tbsp marmalade 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 2 tbsp black treacle 8-10 cloves
Time: 30 mins Serves: 10-12 Nutrition: n/a