- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 5. Unroll the pastry and trim to fit the tart tin. With a fork prick the bottom of the pastry.
- Line with some scumpled tin foil and bake blind for 5 mins. Remove the tin foil carefully and cook another few minutes to dry out the base.
- Put the cranberries in a pan with the lemon juice and the caster sugar. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 5 mins, add the butter and allow to melt.
- Put the mixture in a food processor along with the cornflour and blitz until well blended. Put the mixture back in the pan.
- Mix the egg yolks and whole egg into the cranberry mix, beating well.
- Cook on a gentle heat for a couple of minutes, stirring as you cook, until the mixture is thick and heavy. Pour this mixture into the pastry case.
- With an electric mix, whisk the egg whites until they start to hold their shape. Add the caster sugar a dessert spoon at a time, beating well, until the meringue is stiff.
- Spoon the meringue on top of the cranberry filling – make sure you cover it all – and make some swirls with the meringue.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 mins until crisp and just browned.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 40 mins and then another 40 mins before cutting.
Recipe from Aldi.
For more festive recipes grab the latest copy of Yours.
The sweetness of the meringue counteracts the tartness of the cranberries in this, so it makes the perfect festive dessert for those who don't like Christmas pudding
1 x 375g pack Ready Rolled Shortcrust Pastry For the filling: 300g fresh cranberries 125ml lemon juice 80g salted butter 65g cornflour 3 medium egg yolks 1 medium egg 115g caster sugar For the meringue: 4 medium egg whites 200g caster sugar 1 x 22cm round loose base fluted tart tin
Time: 20 mins Serves: 6 Nutrition: n/a