- Preheat the oven to 150?C/300?F/Gas mark 2, or alternatively, if you are already using the oven at a higher temperature, place the pudding in the bottom of the oven and bake
for ½ hour less cooking time, the pudding is ready when a golden brown skin has formed and it has a slight wobble when given a gentle shake.
- Grease a medium sized ovenproof dish with butter. Pour the milk into a saucepan, add the caster sugar and the seeds scraped from the inside of the slit vanilla pod and stir together over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the rice and bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for a few minutes until the rice starts to swell. Stir in the clotted cream and when the cream has completely
melted, pour the mixture into the prepared ovenproof dish.
- Dot the top of the pudding with a little extra butter and grate a generous amount of nutmeg on top.
- Cook the pudding in the preheated oven for 1½ hour, until the top is golden brown and the rice is soft.
Recipe from Comfort by Carolyn Caldicott, out 6th November, published by Frances Lincoln, Priced £9.99.
There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
If you're already using the oven to cook your main course, slip this rice pudding in the bottom of the oven and leave it to bubble away
Butter 1 litre(1¾ pint) Jersey or whole milk 50g(2oz) golden caster sugar 1 vanilla pod slit lengthwise 110g(4oz) short grain pudding rice 6 generous tablespoons clotted cream Freshly grated nutmeg Jam to serve
Time: 10 mins Serves: 4-5 Nutrition: n/a