- For the marinade; mix ½ chilies, ginger & garlic with ¾ of the lime juice & vinegar plus ½ the oil. Add pinch of turmeric/paprika, black pepper & sea salt.
- For the sauce; Mix the remaining chili, garlic & ginger, ½ the toasted sesame seeds & brown sugar with remaining lime juice into a paste. Slowly add mango juice and chopped mango, then season with Worcestershire sauce.
- Marinate chicken and chill for at least 1 hour, before sprinkling remaining sesame seeds and sugar over chicken.
- Slice sundried tomato in strips and cut ciabatta lengthways, coating the cut sides with olive oil.
- Coat chicken with sauce and sear both sides over the hottest section of your grill, then remove to medium heat, basting with sauce. Turn occasionally.
- Oil grill bars, placing ciabatta cut face down over medium heat to warm through.
- Top the chicken with sun dried tomatoes and return to hottest section. Also transfer ciabatta to hottest section and sear outside.
- Remove ciabatta, drizzle with oil, place chicken on top, add remaining sauce and tomato, garnish with rocket & basil and finish with ciabatta tops.
Recipe and photograph by Brian George, creator of Gastro Alfresco and National BBQ Week, now both in their 18th year! www.gastro-alfresco.co.uk
A fruity, slightly exotic recipe, created following a tour of Tuscany
2 skinless chicken breasts 1 large Ciabatta 15g (1/2 oz) sundried tomatoes 1 Mango, coarsely chopped 25ml (1fl.oz) mango juice 2 tsp white wine vinegar 25ml (1fl.oz) extra virgin olive oil 1 lime, juiced 25g (1oz) grated ginger 25g (1oz) brown sugar 4 garlic cloves, crushed 1 or 2 birds eye chillies (to taste), finely chopped & deseeded 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds 2 tsp mixed turmeric & paprika Splash Worcestershire sauce Sea salt & black pepper to taste Rocket and basil to garnish
Time: 25 minutes, plus 1 hour chilling Serves: 2 Nutrition: n/a