- Heat the sunflower oil in a large saucepan, add the onion, garlic and ginger and fry until soft.
- Add the butternut squash and potato, cover the pan and sweat the vegetables together until they start to soften (stir the pan every once in a while to prevent the vegetables sticking).
- Stir in the cinnamon and add the stock. Bring the soup to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover the pan and gently simmer until the vegetables are soft.
- Blend the soup until smooth and season to taste.
- Butter both sides of the sliced baguette, place in a hot pan and fry until golden and crunchy. Flip the baguette and top with the grated Gruyere cheese, cook for a further few minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Ladle the soup into a deep bowl and carefully float the crouton on top.
Recipe from Comfort by Carolyn Caldicott, out 6th November, published by Frances Lincoln, Priced £9.99.
There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday
Store this soup portions in the freezer for when you need it most
1 medium butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and diced 1 medium potato, peeled and diced 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1.2 litre(2 pints) good vegetable stock Salt and black pepper 4 tablespoons sunflower oil I medium onion, roughly chopped 2 cloves garlic, crushed 1 thumb sized piece of ginger root peeled and grated Cheesy crouton topping (per person) 1 thickish slice day old baguette Butter Grated Gruyere cheese
Time: 10 mins Serves: 6 Nutrition: n/a