- Make the pickle brine two days before. Peel the ginger, and then blend together with the garlic and chilli flakes. Add to a saucepan with all other ingredients, and put on a medium heat until it comes to a rolling boil. Take off the heat and allow 24 hours to cool completely.
- Grate 1/2 head of red cabbage, add to the cooled brine and place in fridge. Use from 24 hours up until 2 weeks, for a richer more flavor layered pickle.
- Marinade the chicken for 24 hours, before skewering and grilling. Soak skewers for 40 minutes beforehand to avoid burning (if wooden).
- For the dressing, peel all the ginger, and blend together the ginger and garlic with the mirin until it turns into a paste. Add the other ingredients. This can be prepared a day before serving to infuse with greater flavour.
- Grate the carrots and cabbage, and dress with dressing and toasted sesame seeds 15 minutes before serving to allow to marinate and take on the fresh flavours of the dressing.
- In a blender, blend coriander, garlic, vinegar, and water. Slowly add olive oil. Tip into a bowl and add salt and chilli flakes to taste before giving this a good mix.
- Grill the chicken skewers on a hot charcoal grill for 6 minutes each side, or until cooked through, or alternatively in an electric grill oven at 180 degrees celsius, for five minutes on each side, or until cooked through.
- Serve the chicken skewers over a bed of the refreshing slaw, with the pickles and coriander sauce on the side for a perfect, healthy, delicious summer lunch with friends.
- Recipe from Rainbo
- There are more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
Great for fans of ginger
Chicken yakitori skewers: 800g chicken thighs (skinned and diced) 150 g ginger 5 cloves of garlic ½ bunch of spring onions 200 ml mirin 1 tablespoons salt 60 ml soy sauce Pickle brine and red cabbage: 80 ml Sarsons Pickling Malt Vinegar 80 ml water 50 ml mirin 100 g honey 100 g salt 1 clove of garlic 50 g ginger 1 tablespoon chilli flakes (optional) 1/2 head red cabbage Coriander sauce: 100 g coriander 1/2 tablespoon rice vinegar 25 ml water 100 ml olive oil 1/2 clove of garlic A pinch chilli flakes (optional) A pinch of salt (to taste) Ginger dressing: 1/2 clove of garlic 12.5 g ginger 25 ml mirin 90 ml soy sauce 40 ml rice vinegar Slaw: 2 Carrots 1/4 head red cabbage 1/4 head white cabbage 50 g toasted sesame seeds
Time: 40 minutes (plus marinating time) Serves: 2-4 Nutrition: n/a