- In a large saucepan, melt the butter until a liquid. Transfer two-thirds of the liquid to a small bowl and set aside. Meanwhile, keep the pan on the hob and add the chicken livers, cooking until all sides are sealed.
- Add the garlic and stir. Cook for 1 min, then add the whiskey, simmering for 2 mins, until the liquid has reduced by half.
- Transfer the liver mixture to a food processer and blend until smooth, and then mix in the cream, thyme leaves and chopped onions.
- Season with salt and pepper and divide between four ramekins or one large oval dish.
- Remove and discard the froth from the reserved melted butter and then pour it on top of the paté. Chill for at least 1 hour, before serving with crusty bread.
Recipe from Haywards.
There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
The perfect Christmas starter
200g unsalted butter 400g chicken livers, trimmed 1 clove of garlic, crushed 2 tbsp whiskey 2 tbsp double cream 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves 8 onions, rinsed and finely chopped Sea salt and ground black pepper Crusty bread, to serve
Time: 15 minutes Serves: 4-6 Nutrition: n/a