- Pre heat the oven to 200C/Gas Mark 6.
- Brush a deep 25cmx25cm square ceramic oven proof dish with olive oil.
- In a large deep frying pan heat the oil and fry the onion and garlic until it starts to soften. Add the mince and cook until it is all browned.
- Stir in the flour and let it cook in for a minute then add the stock, Worcestershire sauce and tomato purée and stir well to mix it all in. Add the tinned chopped tomato and sugar and stir again.
- Season and leave cook on a low heat for one hour stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened to a rich brown colour.
- Melt the butter in a deep saucepan, add the flour and cook for 2 minutes and then add the milk a little at a time, whisking constantly, until smooth and thick.
- Mix in the mustard and nutmeg and 100g of cathedral city cheddar cheese. Season to taste, cover and set aside until the ragu is ready.
- When the mince is cooked pour half in to the prepared oven dish place 3-4 lasagne sheets over the meat and then cover with half the cheese sauce.
- Repeat the process again with the remaining sauces and sprinkle the reserved cheddar on top.
- Cook in the oven for 35 to 40 mins until the top is golden brown.
- Serve with a crunchy green salad.
- Recipe from Cathedral Cheese
- For more tasty recipes see Yours Magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday
The perfect comforting meal to come home to!
For the beef ragu: 1 tbsp olive oil plus a little extra. 1 large onion finely chopped 3 cloves of garlic crushed 800g (1lb 11oz) beef mince (10% fat is best) 1 tbsp flour 400l (14fl oz) beef stock A few glugs of Worcestershire sauce 1 tbsp tomato purée 1 tin chopped tomatoes 1 tsp brown sugar For the cheesy sauce: 50g (2oz) butter 50g (2oz) flour 600ml (1pt) milk 1tsp English mustard a few scrapes of whole nutmeg Salt & pepper 100g (4oz)Cathedral City cheddar cheese plus some for the top 6-8 lasagne sheets
Time: 35 mins Serves: 6 Nutrition: n/a