- Add the salmon to a pan with the cold milk, cover with a lid and bring to the boil.
- Cook the fish for five minutes and then turn off the heat and allow the fish to poach in the hot milk for 10 minutes.
- Blanch the broccoli in boiling water for 1 minute, drain and place in a deep 25x25cm ceramic dish.
- Add the prawns, capers, gherkins (if using) and chopped herbs to the dish and mix well.
- With a slotted spoon remove the salmon from the milk (reserving the liquid) and flake the meat in to the dish.
- In a deep saucepan melt the butter, stir in the flour and cook for two minutes.
- Add the warm poaching milk a little at a time, whisking constantly until smooth.
- Season with salt, pepper and mustard to taste.
- Add the grated Cathedral City cheddar, stir well, and pour over the fish and vegetable mixture.
- Pre heat the oven to 200oC/Gas Mark 6.
- Sprinkle a little flour over a clean work surface and roll out the pastry block to one centimetre thick.
- Drape the pastry over the dish making sure you have at least a 3cm overhang around all the edges. Trim the excess then cut the remaining pastry into fish shapes.
- Brush the pie with milk, place the fish pastry shapes on top, brush again and put in the oven for 30-35 minutes until the pastry is golden and puffed and the filling is piping hot.
- Serve immediately with buttery mash and green vegetables.
- Recipe from Cathedral Cheese
- For more tasty recipes see Yours Magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday
Serve this creamy fish pie with a helping of buttered steamed veg
400g (14oz) raw salmon skin removed 500ml (1pt)semi skimmed milk plus a little extra for the pastry 120g (41/2oz) tender stem broccoli washed and trimmed and halved 150g (5oz) cooked prawns 1 tsp capers chopped - optional 4-5 small gherkins chopped - optional Small bunch of dill chopped Small bunch of parsley chopped 50g (2oz) butter 50g (2oz) flour plus a little extra for dusting Salt and pepper 1 tsp English mustard 130g (41/2ozCathedral City strong cheddar cheese grated 1pk Jus Roll puff pastry
Time: 30 mins Serves: 5-6 Nutrition: n/a