- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas 5 and line a baking tray with baking parchment
- Melt the butter in a frying pan, throw in the leeks and lardons, and cook over a medium heat, stirring often to prevent burning, for approximately 18 minutes, until the leeks are totally tender and moist but not wet. Add the apple and season with the sea salt, nutmeg and a very good grind of black pepper. Allow to cool
- Add the potatoes to the leeks. Fold them in, then follow with the Cheddar
- Divide the pastry in half. Take one piece and roll it into a ball. Flatten the ball and place it on a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 26cm disc, turning frequently to keep the pastry as round as possible. Using a 25cm dinner plate or cake tin as a guide, cut out a neat circle. Place the circle of pastry on the prepared baking tray
- Smear 1 tablespoon of the mustard over the centre of the pastry, leaving a 2cm border all the way around. Top with the cooked leeks, lardon and potatoes, heaping them up in the centre. Beat the egg with the milk and brush very lightly around the border of the filled pastry circle
- Roll out and cut the remaining pastry in the same way as the first half. Lay the pastry circle over the filling and press the edges neatly on to the lower base. The filling should be snug inside. Don’t rush. Crimp the edges
- Paint the whole pie, top, sides and crimped border, with the egg and milk mixture and scatter over the remaining Cheddar. Poke a small hole in the pie top and bake in the oven for 1 hour. Eat hot or cold
Recipe from Valentine Warner’s exclusively for Asda
There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
The filling isn't runny and eats very well when served cold in a car, so beats a service station sandwich any day.
50g unsalted butter 100g smoked streaky bacon lardons 3 large leeks, sliced (700g prepared weight) 1 Braeburn apple, peeled, cored and coarsely grated ½ teaspoon flaked sea salt ½ teaspoon grated nutmeg 225g medium Maris Piper potatoes, peeled and coarsely grated 150g Chosen by You Mature Cheddar cheese, coarsely grated, plus a further 40g for the pastry , finely grated 500g ready-made shortcrust pastry plain flour, for dusting 2 good tbsp wholegrain mustard 1 free-range egg 1 tbsp milk ground black pepper
Time: 25 minutes Serves: 2 Nutrition: n/a