- Bring the water to the boil in a medium-sized saucepan and tip in the rolled oats and cinnamon.
- Reduce heat and simmer 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until all water is absorbed.
- While the oats are cooking, in a separate pan, combine the blueberries, maple syrup and a pinch of salt. Cover the pan and place on a medium heat.
- Bring this mixture to the boil then uncover and allow blueberries to cook gently until soft and the juice around the blueberries is thick (about 10 minutes).
- Add the chopped beetroot and continue cooking just until beetroot is hot.Add desired amount of oatmeal and blueberry-beet sauce to bowls. Serve with plain yogurt and chopped walnuts.
Recipe from www.lovebeetroot.co.uk
There are more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
Start the day right with this colourful breakfast of blueberry and beetroot porridge, packed full of antioxidants and guaranteed to power you through the day
470ml (3/4pt) water 100g (4oz) rolled oats ¼ tsp cinnamon (plus more for serving) 200g (7oz) blueberries, fresh or frozen 3-4 tbsp maple syrup (to taste) Pinch salt 2 large ready cooked (vacuum pack) beetroot, chopped Yogurt and chopped walnuts to serve
Time: 5 mins Serves: 6 Nutrition: n/a