To make the jam:
- Make the jam by putting the blackberries in a saucepan with a splash of water and gently heat.
- When the fruits are soft and pulpy, take off the heat and press through muslin or a fine sieve until you have as much juice as possible.
- Throw away the pulp and pips and return the liquid to the saucepan, adding the lemon juice and jam sugar and heating gently until the sugar has dissolved.
- Turn up the heat and stir continuously to prevent sticking and either use a sugar thermometer to check when jam setting point has been reached, otherwise test an occasional drop on a cold saucer until it wrinkles when you push the jam with your finger (but don’t burn your finger).
- Store in sterilised jars. Leave it to cool.
To make the pastry:
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Combine the flour, butter and sugar in a food processor and add water until it combines to form a ball of dough.
- Roll it out and line a flan or pie dish, bake it blind with baking parchment and dried beans to weigh it down – bake until cooked but not showing colour (about 10 mins).
- Take out of the oven and leave to cool. Spread a good thick layer of jam on the pastry.
To make the filling:
- Beat the butter and sugar together until creamy, then beat in the egg and ground almonds. Spoon or pour this onto the jam.
- Peel and core the apples and slice towards the centre to form crescent shapes.
- Lay these gently facing the same way on to the frangipane, sprinkle them with a little sugar and return to the oven and bake for about 20 minutes or until a golden colour.
- If you wish to caramelise the apples, sprinkle sugar on them and use a blow torch.
- Recipe from Eden Project's foraging expert, Emma Gunn for The Big Lunch. The Big Lunch is an initiative run by the Eden Project that aims to bring communities closer together by encouraging people to get together with their neighbours to ‘do lunch’ on Sunday 7 June. For more info and to request a FREE planning pack, which contains invitations, posters, seeds and stickers, at www.thebiglunch.com.
- There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
This is a great way to use up blackberries picked in the hedgerows
For the pastry: 6oz plain flour 4oz butter 2 tbsp caster sugar For the frangipane filling: 50g butter 50g caster sugar 50g ground almonds 2 eggs 2 apples For the blackberry jam filling: 250g blackberries 200g jam sugar Juice of 1/2 a lemon
Time: 1hr Serves: 6-8 Nutrition: n/a