- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 7/220°C/ fan oven 200°C. Grease two 18 cm (7 inch) sandwich tins with a little vegetable oil and line the bases with circles of baking paper.
- Using a hand-held electric mixer, whisk the eggs and sugar together in a large bowl until very pale and light in texture — this will take about 5 minutes on full power. To check that the mixture is thick enough, lift up the beaters (switched off!) — they should leave a trail for a few seconds.
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder together, then add to the mixture and fold it in gently but thoroughly, using a large metal spoon. (Do not use the electric whisk). Divide the mixture between the prepared tins and level the tops.
- Bake the cakes for 8-9 minutes until firm and springy to the touch. Remove from the oven and turn them out onto a cooling rack. Cover with a clean damp tea towel and leave until completely cold. Remove the lining paper. Using a bread knife, slice through the cakes horizontally. (You will just be using three of the layers).
- Whip the cream in a chilled bowl until it holds its shape. Reserve about one third for decoration. Share the remaining cream between two of the cakes, spreading it out evenly over the surface.
- Reserve eight cherries from the Princes Black Cherry Fruit Filling for decoration. Put the rest of the Fruit Filling into a large sieve to remove some of the sauce, then spoon the cherries onto the cream-topped cakes. Layer the cakes on top of each other, then place a third cake on top.
- Spread a very thin layer of cream over the top cake, then sprinkle grated chocolate evenly over it. Pipe 8 swirls of cream onto the cake (or just use heaped teaspoons, if preferred), then put a cherry on top of each swirl. Keep chilled, though take the cake out of the fridge half an hour before serving.
Recipe from Princes
There are more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
Everyone's favourite Seventies summer dessert
Vegetable oil, for greasing 3 large eggs 100g caster sugar 80g plain flour 20g cocoa powder 300ml double cream 2 x 410g cans Princes Black Cherry Fruit Filling Grated chocolate (milk or plain), to decorate
Time: 40 mins Serves: 8 Nutrition: n/a