- Season the beef generously with salt and pepper.
- In a large, heavy frying pan over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil, add the beef, and braise it until browned on all sides (about 8 min total).
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the beef to a plate.
- Pour off most of the fat from the pan, return to the medium-high heat and sauté the onion, thyme, and bay leaves until the onion begins to brown (about 6 min).
- Add garlic, cook 1 additional minute.
- Pour in the wine and vinegar and stir to dislodge any flavorful browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Transfer the contents to a slow cooker with the meat, carrots, tomatoes, and stock.
- Cover and cook on low setting for approx 5 hours.
- Add the pumpkin or squash chunks and pumpkin pie spice over the top of the beef, recover and continue to cook the stew for 3 more hours. The beef and pumpkin should be very tender.
- Remove and discard thyme sprigs, and bay leaves, skim off the fat.
Reprinted with permission from The Pumpkin Pie Spice Cookbook © 2014 by Stephanie Pedersen, Sterling Publishing Co. Photography by Guy Ambrosino (£9.99, available from Amazon).
There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
This is a classic beef stew given a twist with pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice. A lovely autumn or winter dish, served alone or ladled over quinoa, couscous, polenta, or mashed potatoes.
3 lbs stew beef trimmed into 11?4-inch chunks Salt and fresh ground black pepper 1 tablespoon olive oil 1 large onion, finely chopped 2 sprigs fresh thyme 3 bay leaves 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1?3 cup dry red wine (such as merlot) 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into chunks 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes 1?3 cup beef or chicken stock 1lb pumpkin or butternut squash,peeled, seeded, and cut into 3?4-inch chunks 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
Time: 20-25 minutes Serves: 6 Nutrition: n/a