- Before you start, preheat the barbecue or grill. If using wooden kebab sticks, soak 8 of them in hot water for 5-10 minutes to help prevent them from burning. Otherwise, use metal skewers.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the chicken breasts into even-sized chunks. (Never wash chicken before preparation and always throw away the chicken packaging, do not wash and recycle it).
- Thread the chicken, peppers and courgette slices onto the kebab sticks or skewers. Wash your hands in hot soapy water after handling the raw chicken, and wash up the knife and chopping board.
- Make the baste by mixing together the olive oil, lime or lemon juice and herbs. Season with a little salt and pepper. Cook the kebabs on the barbecue or under the grill for 10-12 minutes, basting often.
- Check that each kebab is fully cooked by inserting a clean sharp knife into the chicken – there should be no trace of pink. If there are, cook for a few more minutes and check again with a clean knife.
- Serve 2 kebabs per person, with salad leaves, cucumber and tomato, with a little dressing spooned over.
Recipe from The Food Standards Agency
There's more recipe in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
Pre-cook the chicken first in the oven and finish on the barbecue. It's vital to cook barbecued chicken the whole way through
500g skinless, boneless chicken breasts 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into chunks 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and cut into chunks 1 courgette, sliced 2 tbsp. olive oil 1 tbsp. lime or lemon juice 1 tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary or thyme Salad leaves, cucumber and tomato, to serve Dressing: 2 tbsp. olive oil 1 tsp Dijon or wholegrain mustard 2 tbsp. red or white wine vinegar Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Time: 15 mins Serves: 4 Nutrition: n/a