- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6.
- Boil a large saucepan of salted water. Cook the leeks in the boiling water for 5 mins.
- Once cooked, drain the leeks and put into a buttered oven dish. Place the salmon on top of the leeks.
- Place a small pan over heat and add the butter. When the butter has melted, add the flour, stirring continuously, and cook together for two mins until lightly golden.
- Remove from the heat and slowly whisk in the milk to make a smooth sauce. Put back on the heat and bring up to a simmer, stirring continuously for 2-3 mins.
- Turn off the heat and beat in the egg yolks, mustard, salt and pepper. Pour the sauce over the leeks and salmon and sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Cook in the oven for 10 mins, until golden and the cheese is bubbling. Serve straight away.
Created by Nathan Outlaw for Davidstow, courtesy www.greatbritishchefs.com
There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
Served with a mixed leaf salad, this recipe is great for an uncomplicated weeknight dinner or a lazy weekend lunch
8 leeks, cleaned and cut into 8cm pieces 300g (10 ½ oz) of smoked salmon slices 50g (2 ½ oz) of butter, plus extra for greasing 50g (2 ½ oz) of plain flour 450ml (15 floz) of milk 2 free-range egg yolks 1 tsp of English mustard 2 tsp of chopped dill salt to season black pepper to season 175g (6oz) of Davidstow cheddar cheese, grated
Time: 15 mins Serves: 4 Nutrition: n/a