- Start by preparing the mayonnaise. Put the egg yolks into a food processor, and add the garlic, vinegar, mustard and cheese. Turn on the blender, continuously pouring in the oil.
- Blend until all the oil has been incorporated. Turn off the blender and season with salt to taste. Put to one side.
- Fry the bacon until crisp. Place grated or sliced cheddar on 4 toasted slices of bread and season the hard boiled eggs with salt to taste. Then add the chives to the mayonnaise and stir well.
- To put the sandwich together, start by coating four slices of toast in mayonnaise. Then layer on the bacon, tomato, half an egg and herbs. Spread mayonnaise on both sides of four more slices of toast. Add the last pieces of bacon, tomato, egg and herbs on top and top with the slices of cheese on toast.
- Use picks to hold the sandwiches together and cut into triangular pieces.
Created by Nathan Outlaw for Davidstow, courtesy www.greatbritishchefs.com
There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday
This recipe adds cheddar and garlic mayonnaise for extra flavour and goes well with salad or chips
3 free-range egg yolks 50g (2oz) Davidstow cheddar cheese, grated 2 tsp of English mustard 1 tbsp of white wine vinegar 2 garlic cloves, chopped 500ml (16fl oz) of sunflower oil Cornish sea salt to taste Sandwich: 12 slices of bread 4 eggs, hard boiled and thinly sliced 4 tomatoes, thinly sliced 16 slices of smoked streaky bacon mixed herb leaves, such as flat-leaf parsley, basil and coriander 80g (3oz) of cheddar cheese, shredded or sliced salt to season 3 tbsp of chopped chives
Time: 10 mins Serves: 4 Nutrition: n/a