- 300g (10.6 oz) walnuts
- 2 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- pinch salt
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 25g (0.8 oz) unsalted butter
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 275ml (9.7 fl oz) chicken stock
- 80ml (2.8 fl oz) pomegranate molasses
- 10 peeled cloves of garlic (leave whole)
- 1 large cinnamon stick
- Toast the walnuts in a large frying pan. Remove and allow to cool. Reserve a large handful (for garnish) then place the remainder into a food processer and grind until a breadcrumb texture is achieved.
- Mix the sugar, ground cinnamon, turmeric, nutmeg, allspice and salt into a large bowl. Add the chicken and coat evenly.
- Heat a suitable sized frying pan or a Crock-Pot sauté pot over a medium heat, add the oil and brown the chicken pieces, until golden, then remove.
- Melt the butter in the same pan on medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until softened. Spoon the onions, blended walnuts, lemon juice, stock and molasses into your Crock-Pot bowl. Add the spiced chicken and any remaining spice mixture.
- Stir in the garlic cloves and rosemary sprigs. Add the cinnamon stick.
- Cover and cook on Low for 5-6 hours or High for 4-5 hours.
- Remove the rosemary sprigs and squash the softened garlic cloves into the sauce.
Preparation time: 15 mins
Serve with basmati rice, pomegranate seeds and chopped parsley