- Preheat the oven to 180°C /350°F /Gas Mark 4. Grease a 23cm round loose bottom or springform tin generously and sprinkle the caster sugar over the base.
- Drain the pineapple rings, reserving the juice, and arrange them close together in the tin. Place a glacé cherry in the centre of each ring (if using), and make a pretty pattern in the spaces between the rings with more cherries.
- Now make the sponge. Put the butter and brown sugar in a large mixing bowl. With a wooden spoon or an electric whisk, cream them together until they are pale and fluffy. Add the eggs one by one, beating well after each addition.
- Sift in the flour, add the pineapple juice and fold in gently with a metal spoon until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Carefully spoon the mixture over the pineapple rings in the tin, level the surface with the back of the spoon, and bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes.
- Leave the cake in its tin on a wire rack to cool for a few minutes.
- While waiting, make a syrup by putting the pineapple juice and caster sugar in a saucepan and boiling over a medium heat, without stirring, until it thickens. Remove from the heat.
- Next turn the cake out of the tin so that it is upside down on a plate or cake stand.
- Spoon the syrup evenly over the surface, using as much as you think necessary. Leave to cool before serving with cream or custard if desired.
Taken from Vintage Cakes by Jane Brocket, £25 Jacqui Small.
There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
This iconic Seventies retro cake is best made using tinned pineapple for extra flavour
For the cake: 175g (6oz) soft butter, plus extra for greasing 25g (1oz) caster sugar 6–8 tinned pineapple rings in fruit juice (not syrup) 8–16 whole glacé cherries (optional) 175g (6oz) light soft brown sugar 3 eggs, lightly beaten 200g (7oz) self-raising flour 2 tbsp pineapple juice from the tin For the syrup: 100ml (3.5 fl oz) pineapple juice from the tin 50g (2oz) caster sugar
Time: 20 mins Serves: 8-10 Nutrition: 351 - 367cals, 21 - 16g fat, 12 - 9g sat fat