- 5 large free range egg whites
- 250g (9 oz) caster sugar
- 450ml (16 fl oz) double cream
- 1 vanilla pod, split lengthways and seeds scraped
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 100g (4oz) Waitrose Seriously fruity coulis
- Mango & Lime Coulis
- 2 ripe mangoes, peeled, stoned and diced
- 2 ripe papaya, peeled, deseeded and diced
- Juice 1 lime
- Preheat the oven to 100°C, gas mark ¼. Whisk the egg whites to soft peaks using an electric whisk then whisk in half the caster sugar. Gradually whisk in the remaining sugar, then whisk for a further 2 minutes until stiff and glossy.
- Line 3 flat baking trays with baking parchment. Spoon a third of the meringue mixture onto each tray and use the back of a spoon to spread out to a circle roughly 22cm in diameter. Bake them for 1½ hours, swapping the trays over every 30 minutes, then turn the oven off and leave overnight to cool completely.
- For the filling, whip the cream, vanilla seeds and icing sugar to soft peaks then fold through the coulis. Combine the diced fruit and lime juice in a separate bowl.
- Just before serving, assemble the pavlova. Spoon a little cream into the centre of a serving plate or cake stand and lay one of the meringue discs on top (the cream will stop it from sliding around). Spoon over a third of the cream mixture and top with a third of the fruit. Add a second pavlova disc and repeat the layering, finishing with a layer of fresh fruit.
Preparation time: 20 mins
Make the pavolvas the night before and when cold, wrap the trays loosely with foil and keep in a cool place.