- First, make the cake. Preheat the oven to 180oC (160oC fan assisted), Gas Mark 4. Brush the base and sides of 2 x 20 cm (8 inch) Springform tins with a little oil and line the base of each with a circle of non-stick baking paper.
- Add the margarine, sugar, flour and baking powder to a large mixing bowl or food processor. Add the eggs and fruit rinds and beat together for a few minutes until smooth.
- Divide the cake mixture evenly between the two tins and level the surface with a knife. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the cakes are well risen, golden brown and the tops spring back when lightly pressed with a fingertip.
- Leave the cakes to cool for 5 minutes then loosen the edges, remove the tins and cool on a wire rack.
- About 1-2 hours before you are ready to serve, remove the lining paper from the cakes if you haven’t already then cut each cake into two layers. Put one of the layers on a cake stand or flat plate.
- Spread with some of the lemon curd then arrange half the raspberries and strawberries in an even layer on top. Add a second cake layer, more lemon curd and the blueberries. Add a third cake layer, more lemon curd then the remaining raspberries and strawberries and cover with the final cake layer. Press together gently, checking that the cake stands straight.
- Whisk the cream in a bowl until it forms soft swirls then spread a thin layer over the top and sides of the cake to stick the cake crumbs in place then spoon the remaining cream over and spread into soft swirls. Cover with the coconut shavings then chill until ready to serve.
- Add a few extra berries to the top of the cake, if liked, dust lightly with sifted icing sugar just before serving.
There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
This impressive cake ican make a fantastic alternative to a traditional Christmas cake
For the cake: Little sunflower oil for greasing 225g (8oz) soft margarine 225g (8oz) caster sugar 225g (8oz) self-raising flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 4 medium eggs 1 lime, grated rind only 1 lemon, grated rind only To decorate: 1 x 325g jar lemon curd 225g (8oz) raspberries, plus few extra to decorate 400g (14oz) strawberries, thickly sliced, plus few extra to decorate 150g (5oz) blueberries 450ml (3/4 pint) double cream 100g (4oz) coconut shavings Little icing sugar, sifted, to decorate
Time: 1 hour Serves: 12 Nutrition: n/a