- Sift the flour, icing sugar and salt into a large bowl.
- Add the butter and mix with a round-bladed knife until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs (or pulse in a food processor). Pour in the egg and water and quickly mix in, using the knife rather than your hands, until it starts to form large clumps. Add a little more water if needed.
- Use your hands to bring the dough together, knead briefly on a floured surface, then form into a disc, wrap in clingfilm and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas mark 6 and put a baking sheet on the centre shelf to heat up.
- Lightly grease your pie plate or ovenproof dish. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the pastry to a large circle about 3mm thick, leaving the edges ragged and uneven. Line the dish with the pastry - the edges should just drape over the sides of the dish.
- Wash the strawberries and apricots and toss with the caster sugar, cornflour and cinnamon. Pile into the pastry-lined dish and gently bring the excess pastry up over the edges of the fruit, leaving the top open to reveal the fruit in the middle.
- Brush the pastry edges with the milk and sprinkle with the 2 tablespoons of caster sugar. Place the dish on the hot baking sheet in the oven and bake for 45-50 minutes until golden brown and the juice is bubbling up. Serve with generous dollops of thick double cream.
- Recipe from the Higgidy Cookbook by Camilla Stephens is published by Quercus at £16.99
- There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
This is a great recipe for novice bakers and enthusiasts alike. It's foolproof, doesn't need to be perfectly neat and is a lovely way to use up slightly overripe fruit
250g plain flour, plus a little for dusting 50g icing sugar A pinch of salt 125g very cold butter, cut into small cubes, plus extra for greasing 1 medium egg, beaten 1-2 tbsp ice-cold water 2 tbsp milk, for brushing 2 tbsp caster sugar, for sprinkling For the filling: 500g strawberries, hulled and cut in half 500g fresh or tinned apricots, halved and stones removed 125g caster sugar 2 tbsp cornflour 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
Time: 40 mins Serves: 6-8 Nutrition: n/a