- Preheat oven to 180°c/350°F/ Gas Mark 4. Generously butter 8 x 175-200ml (6-7 fl oz) metal pudding basins.
- Put the sugar and butter together in a large bowl and, with an electric whisk (mixer or hand held), beat together until very light and fluffy.
- Add all the remaining sponge ingredients and continue to whisk for a further 2-3 minutes until the mixture is very smooth and creamy.
- Spoon this into the prepared basins and level the top. Cover each one with buttered foil, butter side down with the edges sealed tightly around the tops of the basins.
- Put the basins in a large roasting tin and fill with enough boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the basins. Steam in the preheated oven for about 1- 1¼ hours.
- Meanwhile make the syrup. Put the compote, golden syrup and orange juice in a wide, shallow pan and stir over a gentle heat until the syrup has melted.
- Add the orange slices to the pan in a single layer and bring the liquid to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer the slice very gently for about 15-20 minutes until the peel is tender and translucent, and the liquid has thickened to a syrupy consistency. Carefully remove the orange slices to a plate using a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Loosen the edges of the hot puddings with a round bladed knife and turn out onto individual edged dishes. Spoon over the warm rhubarb syrup and add an orange slice on top. Finish with chilled custard or single cream.
Recipe from www.bonnemaman.co.uk
There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
This deliciously sticky and sweet dessert won't fail to impress when you bring it to the table
175 g (6 oz) softened butter, plus extra for greasing 175 g (6 oz) golden caster sugar 175 g (6 oz) self-raising flour 1 tsp baking powder 4 eggs, beaten 2-3 tbsp soured cream or milk Finely grated zest of 1 small orange Chilled custard or cream, to finish For the syrup… 100 ml (3 ½ fl oz) Bonne Maman Rhubarb Compote 100 ml (3 ½ fl oz) golden syrup 100 ml (3 ½ fl oz) fresh orange juice 1 small orange, very thinly sliced
Time: 10 mins Serves: 6-8 Nutrition: n/a