- Preheat oven to 200?C/180?C/Gas Mark 4.
- Put the butter and sugar in a bowl and use a wooden spoon to beat together until pale, light and fluffy.
- Beat the eggs in a jug then gradually add to the butter mixture, beating well between additions.
- Sift over the flour and baking powder then gently fold in along with the vanilla extract.
- Line a cupcake tin with paper cake cases and half fill each case with the cake mixture.
- Bake for 15–20 minutes or until the cakes have risen and look golden.
- Meanwhile, heat the sugar, butter and 1 tbsp water in a small pan over medium/high heat. Stir a little until it starts to brown. Stir in the double cream and let bubble for another 5 minutes or until all the sugar has dissolved and you have a smooth sauce. Lastly, add the cordial and stir through. Keep warm until needed.
- Cool the cakes on a rack then decorate with caramel.
This icing is also great on ice cream or pancakes
100g (3 1/2 oz) butter, softened 100g (3 1/2 oz) sugar 2 eggs 100g (3 1/2 oz) self raising flour 1 tsp baking powder 1 tsp vanilla extract For the caramel 100g (3 1/2 oz) caster sugar25g (1oz) unsalted butter25ml (1fl.oz) Belvoir elderflower cordial100ml (3 1/2 fl.oz) double cream
Time: 30 minutes, including cooking Serves: 8-10 Nutrition: n/a