- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/ Gas Mark 4. For the sponge, whisk together the eggs, caster sugar and vanilla salt or extract in a large mixing bowl for 3–5 minutes, using an electric mixer, until thick, creamy and pale.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder in a separate bowl, add the ground almonds, and fold into the egg mixture using a spatula. Fold very gently.
- Spoon the mixture into the Swiss roll tin and bake for 5 minutes in the preheated oven, then turn the tin around and cook for a further 3–5 minutes, until the sponge is golden brown and feels just firm to your touch.
- Sprinkle a generous amount of caster sugar on to a sheet of baking parchment. Turn the sponge out on to the sugar-dusted sheet, and cover with a clean damp kitchen towel. Leave for 5 minutes.
- Remove the kitchen towel. Mix the jam with a spoon, so that it is easily spreadable, then spread it over the sponge. Roll up the sponge from one of the long ends (as you want to make small swirls of sponge), using the sugar-dusted parchment to guide the sponge. Leave the Swiss roll wrapped in the parchment, until cool.
- Simmer half of the blueberries in a saucepan with 60 ml water and the caster sugar for 5 minutes, until the fruit is soft and the liquid is syrupy. Allow to cool.
- To assemble your trifle, cut the roll into slices and press into the base and sides of your dish. Drizzle over the brandy and sherry – adding more if you like. Spoon the blueberry compote on to the base of the trifle, then sprinkle over the remaining blueberries and raspberries. Spoon over the custard, then top with a layer of whipped cream. Sprinkle with the pomegranate seeds.
Taken from Gluten Free Christmas, by Hannah Miles, published by Ryland Peters & Small rrp £9.99. Photography by William Reavell.
There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
A traditional trifle has to be laced with a nip of brandy and sherry
For the trifle sponge: 5 eggs 140g (5oz) caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling a pinch of vanilla salt (or 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract and a pinch of salt) 100g (4oz) self-raising flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 60g (2 ½ oz) ground almonds 4 tablespoons raspberry jam For the fruit: 350g (12oz)blueberries 1 tablespoon caster sugar 300g (10oz) raspberries To assemble: 125 ml (5 fl oz) brandy 125 ml 5 fl oz) sherry 500 ml(1 pint) custard 400 ml (3/4 pint) double cream, whipped to soft peaks pomegranate seeds
Time: 20 mins Serves: 10 Nutrition: 512 cals, 30g fat, 15g sat fat