- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Line the bottom of four 6” cake pans (15cm diameter x 2cm height) & grease - we used Wilton Easy Layer Cake Pans. Alternatively, use two 6” pans (15cm x 4 cm height) and cut each cake in half.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder and malt powder, and add to the batter. Add in the yogurt and beat well. Divide the batter equally between the two cake tins and spread evenly.
- Place the two cake tins on each shelf of the oven for an even bake. Bake for 10 minutes until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Remove the cake tins from the oven and allow to cool completely on a cooling rack.
- To make the butter cream, place the butter in a mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until soft and smooth, then add the icing sugar and continue to beat. Add the yogurt on a slow speed and when mixed in thoroughly then add the caramel sauce and salt. On top mixing speed, whip the butter cream until light and airy.
- To assemble the cake, divide the butter cream equally between each of the 4 layers and using a pallet knife, spread evenly to the edges of the cake. Once the layers are formed and put together, use the remaining butter cream to cover the outside of the cakes including the top and sides. Ensure that the butter cream is smooth, and place the cake in the fridge to set and firm the layers.
- Next, beat together the caramel and double cream until smooth. Remove the cake from the fridge and carefully, using a large spoon, flood the top of the cake with the caramel sauce, teasing the sauce down the sides of the cake with the back of the spoon.
- For the peanut brittle use a heavy based non stick saucepan, then place the caster sugar over a low heat and leave until it melts and bubbles.
- Shake the pan a little as it starts to melt, and wait until the sugar starts to clump together, then goes a slightly silver colour, then it will begin to turn caramel in colour. Make sure to monitor is closely, it needs to be a deep dark mahogany colour. Add the peanuts to the melted caramel, then pour the mixture onto a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper. Leave alone and out of reach to cool.
Recipe from Rachels Organic Yogurt.
For more scrummy treats and classic bakes, grab our latest copy of Yours magazine.
An indulgently delicious cake, perfect for an afternoon with friends
Cake: 260g butter, softened 260g, golden caster sugar 3 large eggs 260g self raising flour 2tsp baking powder 60g malted powder 60g Rachel's Greek Style natural yogurt Caramel butter cream: 250g butter, softened 200g icing sugar 60g Rachel's Greek Style natural yogurt 90g Carnation caramel A good pinch of sea salt flakes Topping: 397g Carnation caramel 200ml double cream Peanut Brittle: 100g caster sugar 100g peanuts, salted
Time: 20 mins Serves: 8-10 Nutrition: Kcal 899, Fat 44.9. Sat fat 29.9