120g (4oz) rhubarb
20g (1oz) golden caster sugar
160g (5½oz) butter
100g (3½oz) plain flour
250g (9oz) icing sugar
125g (4½oz) ground almonds
6 egg whites
6ml (1tsp) vanilla extract
10ml (1½tsp) rose water
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Slice the rhubarb on a diagonal to 2cm (1in) pieces, sprinkle with the caster sugar. Roast for 15 mins. For the batter first melt the butter in a small saucepan, allow to cool to use in the recipe.
- Grease an 8cm (3in) each friand tray tin, with a little melted butter.
- Sift the flour and icing sugar then stir through the ground almonds. Separate the eggs and retain the egg whites and whisk until they are white and frothy.
- Gently mix the frothy egg whites into the bowl of dry ingredients. Add the melted butter, vanilla extract, and rose water, stir to combine.
- Fill the friand tin until each mould is ? full. Then place a piece of the roasted rhubarb on top and gently press into the batter. Bake the friands in the oven for 15-20 mins minutes, or until they are lightly golden.
- Let them cool in the pan for about 5 mins before removing them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve the friands warm or cold with a dusting of icing sugar.
- This recipe is courtesy of Macmillan’s World’s Biggest Coffee Morning.
- For more recipes, grab the latest copy of Yours.
These light and tasty friands are perfect to enjoy with a cuppa
Time: 50 mins