- Beat the butter, sugar and vanilla extract together until pale and fluffy. Sift in the flour in 2 stages and mix until the dough comes together. Knead gently on a lightly floured surface until just smooth then wrap in clingfilm and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4 and line two baking sheets with baking parchment. On a lightly floured surface, roll out half the dough until 3mm thick. Stamp out 6 whole cookies and 3 inserts, re-rolling the trimmings as needed. Remove the dough from the centre of each insert, as this will give you the hollow for hiding your sweets.
- Carefully transfer the cookies and inserts to the baking sheets and bake for 10-12 minutes or until just beginning to colour. Remove from the oven and wait a few minutes before carefully lifting the shapes onto a wire rack with a palette knife then leave to cool completely.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 with the remaining dough.
- When completely cool, assemble the piñata cookies by sticking an insert on top of a whole cookie using a dab of writing icing. Fill the insert with Christmas beans and top with another whole cookie, securing with a little writing icing. Repeat until you have 6 assembled cookies.
- Lightly grease a surface with white fat then roll out the beige icing to 2mm thick. Stamp out 6 whole cookies then brush the top of each cookie with a little jam and top with the icing.
- Roll out the white icing to 2mm thick and cut out 6 saddles with a small sharp knife. Stick onto the beige icing with a little cold water. Then roll out the green icing and cut out 18 holly leaves with a small holly leaf cutter. Stick 3 leaves onto each saddle with a little cold water. Make tiny holly berries from the red icing trimmings and stick on with a little cold water.
- With red writing icing, draw on reindeer noses and decorate the saddles, as shown. Make 6 eyes from the black icing and stick on with a little cold water. Finally, make antlers by sticking on half a pretzel with a dab of writing icing.
Recipe from Lakeland.
There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
Make these festive cookies using a 3D Piñata cookie cutter set
Cookies: 250g unsalted butter, softened 125g icing sugar 1 tsp vanilla extract 300g plain flour Filling: Coloured Writing Icing Set (blue, red, yellow and green) 3 x 65g tubs Lakeland Christmas Beans To decorate: A little white vegetable fat, for greasing 175g Renshaw Beige Ready To Roll Icing (from the Naturals Icing Pack) 30g Renshaw White Ready To Roll Icing 2 tbsp apricot jam, warmed and sieved 30g Renshaw Red Ready To Roll Icing (from the Primary Colours Icing Pack) 10g Renshaw Green Ready To Roll Icing (from the Primary Colours Icing Pack) 5g Renshaw Black Ready To Roll Icing (from the Primary Colours Icing Pack)
Time: 30 mins Serves: 6 Nutrition: n/a