To make the meringue:
- Whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt until you achieve soft peaks, gradually add the sugar, and finally add the vinegar, corn flour and vanilla essence.
- Pipe out 6-8 some small peaked rounds 2in in diameter onto baking trays lined with greaseproof paper then pipe 1in rounds until the meringue is used up.
- Bake in a preheated oven set at 140ºC/Gas Mark 1 for 25-30 mins; turn off oven, open door and leave to cool. For a quicker version you can use shop bought meringues.
To make the sponge:
- Cream the butter and sugar together, add the zest, eggs then fold in sifted flour, mix until fully combined, then fold through the curd.
- Divide the mixture into two greased and lined 20cm sandwich tins. Bake in a pre-heated oven set at 180ºC/Gas Mark 4 for 45-50 mins.
- Meanwhile mix lemon juice with the sugar. Remove the sponge from the oven prick all over with a skewer; pour the lemon juice over cake straight away. Leave to cool in the tins.
- Cream the butter until pale and light then add in the icing sugar and continue to whisk for a few minutes, add the cream cheese and beat until incorporated. Add in the lemon juice then mix one last time.
To assemble the cake:
- Put one of the sponges onto a cake stand; spread with lemon curd then spread the other half with some of the frosting.
- Place the sponges on top of each other.
- Using a palette knife spread over the frosting over the top and sides.
- Place the larger meringues around the top of the cake to replicate a crown then completely cover the rest with the smaller meringues.
- Kenwood will crown one of these five recipes as the Nation’s favourite “Elizabeth Sponge” on 13 September at Goodwood Revival and until then, cake connoisseurs can vote for their favourite recipe on the Kenwood Facebook page www.facebook.com/KenwoodWorld.
- There are more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
A real show-stopper of a cake by chef Dean Edwards
For the meringue: 5 egg whites 300g (10 1/2 oz) sugar 1 tsp corn flour 1 tsp vanilla essence 1 tsp white wine vinegar Pinch of salt For the sponge: 220g (8oz) unsalted butter softened 200g (7oz) caster sugar 280g (10oz) self-raising flour 4 free range organic eggs beaten Zest of 2 unwaxed lemons grated 2 tbsp lemon curd For the drizzle: Juice of 3 lemons 50g (2oz) caster sugar For the frosting: 250g (9oz) unsalted butter 250g (9oz) cream cheese 200g (7oz) icing sugar Juice of 1 lemon 4-5 tbs shop bought lemon curd
Time: 1 hour Serves: 14 Nutrition: n/a