- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- If you have a food processor, add 190g caster sugar with the eggs, lemon rind, spread, and flour and pulse until well blended.
- If not, beat the spread with the sugar, then beat in the eggs, lemon rind and then whisk in the flour until smooth.
- Line a cupcake tin with paper cases, put a dessert spoon of the cake batter in each.
- Top this with a teaspoon of the lemon curd.
- Then cover the lemon curd with the rest of the cake batter – divide the batter between the cakes.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, until risen and firm to the touch, allow to cool.
- Turn up the oven to 200oC/400oF/Gas Mark 6.
- Whisk the egg whites in a clean bowl until stiff, gradually sprinkle in the remaining caster sugar, a teaspoon at a time until thick, sprinkle in the cornflour and whisk some more.
- Fill a piping bag with meringue.
- Pipe a round swirl on top of each cupcake.
- Put back in the hot oven for 5-6 minutes – until the meringue is browned.
Recipe from Aldi for National Cupcake Week
There are more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
Quicker than making a whole lemon meringue when you're in a hurry
190g The Pantry Self Raising Flour 290g Caster Sugar 190g Greenvale Perfect for Cakes Spread 3 x large Eggs Grated rind from 1 Lemon 160g Grandessa Lemon Curd 2 x large Egg Whites 1 level tsp The Pantry Cornflour
Time: 30 minutes Serves: 12 Nutrition: n/a