- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out your pastry to about 3mm thick, then drape it over your tart tin, pressing it well into the sides with your fingers. Roll your rolling pin over the top to remove the excess pastry. Chill the lined tart case for at least 30 mins.
- Meanwhile, make the frangipane for the filling. Using an electric whisk or a wooden spoon and a firm wrist, beat the butter, sugar, almonds, flour, eggs and orange juice and zest until smooth and creamy.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C/Gas Mark 6 and put a baking sheet in to heat up. Remove the tart tin from the fridge and spread 2 tbsp of jam over the pastry base. Using a large spoon, dollop the frangipane on top of the jam, spreading it evenly across the base. Toss the frozen berries in the remaining jam and sprinkle over the frangipane. Sprinkle with the slivered almonds.
- Place the tart on the hot baking sheet in the oven and bake for 30 mins or until the filling is just firm to the touch. If it needs a few minutes longer, reduce the oven temperature to 180°C/fan 350°F/Gas Mark 4. Remove the tart from the oven and set aside to cool for 30 mins.
- Brush the warm apricot jam all over the tart and serve warm or cold, cut into wedges, with dollops of thick double cream or creme fraiche.
- Recipes from The Higgidy Cookbook by Camilla Stephens is published by Quercus at £16.99.
- There are more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
This gorgeous tart is full of oozy jam, sharp berries and fudgy almonds, all jumbled on top of delicious crisp pastry. It's perfect for just about any day of the year
1 pack of sweet shortcrust pastry A little plain flour, for dusting 75g (3oz) butter, softened 75g (3oz) caster sugar 75g (3oz) ground almonds 50g (2oz) self-raising flour 2 medium eggs, beaten Juice and grated zest of 1 large orange 4 tbsp berry jam, e.g. raspberry or woodland 200g (7oz) frozen berries,e.g. blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, redcurrants 15g (1/2oz) almonds, cut into slivers 2 tbsp apricot jam, warmed Thick double cream or creme fraiche, to serve
Time: 20 mins Serves: 8 Nutrition: n/a