- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4 and line a 20 x 30-cm tray bake tin with non-stick baking paper.
- Cream together the butter and sugar in an electric mixer. Add the eggs and vanilla extract and beat or whisk well until pale and fluffy.
- Gently mix in all the dry ingredients. Spoon half of the mixture into the prepared tin and spread out with a palette knife.
- Dollop the jam on top and spread to evenly cover the mixture. Spoon the remaining mixture on top and spread carefully with a palette knife to cover the jam and create a smooth top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 35–40 minutes or until golden and springy to the touch. Remove the cake from the oven and leave in the tin to cool.
- Make the topping. Mix together the icing sugar and water, adding the water a little at a time, until you have a smooth, spreadable icing. Roughly spread the icing over the top of the cooled cake then use a spoon to spread the desiccated coconut on top.
- Leave to set then cut into squares to serve.
- Recipe from Bake me a cake as fast as you can, by Miranda Gore Browne, published by Ebury.
There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
Bring back childhood memories with this sweet jammy sponge cake dusted with coconut!
350g unsalted butter, softened 350g caster sugar 6 large eggs 2 tsp vanilla extract 400g self-raising flour 2 tsp baking powder 170g desiccated coconut pinch of salt 8 tbsp raspberry jam For the topping: 200g icing sugar 2 tbsp boiling water 75g desiccated coconut
Time: 20 mins Serves: 9-10 Nutrition: n/a