75g (3oz) LOVE Life Fruit, Seed & Nut Muesli
3 tbsp orange juice
425g (14oz) strong white bread flour, plus extra for dusting
65g (2 ½ oz) caster sugar
2 tsp easy-blend dried yeast
2 tsp mixed spice
100g (4oz) LOVE Life Raisin Mix
1 tsp sea salt
1 medium Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Egg
50g (2oz) butter, melted
150ml (5 floz) warm milk
50g (2oz) plain flour
4 tbsp milk
4 tbsp caster sugar
- Soak the muesli in the orange juice for 10 mins. Put the soaked muesli with liquid, flour, sugar, yeast, spice, raisins and salt in a large bowl. Beat the egg with the melted butter and milk, then add to the bowl. Mix with a round-bladed knife to make a soft dough, adding a dash more milk if the dough feels dry.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for 10 mins until the dough feels elastic. Transfer to a lightly oiled bowl, cover with clingfilm and leave to rise in a warm place for 1½-2 hrs or until the dough has doubled in size.
Grease a large baking sheet. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and cut into 10 pieces. Shape each into a ball and space 5cm apart on the baking sheet. Cover loosely with greased clingfilm and leave in a warm place for a further 45-60 mins until doubled in size. Preheat the oven to 220°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
- For the crosses, stir 5 tbsp cold water into the plain flour until no lumps remain. Spoon into one corner of a small plastic food bag and twist the ends to contain the mixture, or use a piping bag. Snip off the very tip and pipe crosses onto the buns.
- Bake for about 12-15 mins until risen and golden. Meanwhile, gently heat the milk and sugar in a small saucepan until the sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil and boil for 2 minutes. Brush over the buns while still warm then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Recipe from Waitrose. For more of their Easter selection, head over to www.waitrose.com.
- For more Easter makes and bakes grab the latest issue of Yours, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
Always wanted to have a go at making the classic hot cross bun?
Time: 55 mintues
Nutrition: 349 kcals, fat 7g, sat fat 3.4g