220g (8oz) unsalted butter (room temp)
140g (5oz) light muscovado sugar
140g (5oz) honey
½ tsp of salt
4 large eggs
280g (10oz) self-raising flour
2 tsp baking powder
3 balls stem ginger
3 tbsp milk
2 tbsp Belvoir Elderflower Cordial.
100g (4oz) double cream
200g (7oz) mascarpone cheese
50g (2oz) Belvoir Elderflower Cordial
100g (4oz) icing sugar
- Grease and line two x 8 inch (20cm) cake tins. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Finely chop the stem ginger.
- Using an electric mixer beat the butter, sugar, salt and honey for a few minutes until light and fluffy. One by one beat in the eggs making sure each is well and truly mixed in before adding the next. Sift in the flour and baking powder and carefully fold in. Carefully fold in the stem ginger. Finally fold in milk.
- Split between the two tins and bake for approx 25 mins or until a knife comes out cleanly from the middle. Allow to cool for about 10 mins before turning out from tins and placing on cooling rack. Pour 1tbsp of cordial over the top of each cake.
- Meanwhile put the double cream in a mixing bowl and whisk until just starting to thicken. Add remaining icing ingredients and very briefly beat until combined – be careful not to overbeat.
- Place one of the cakes on the plate on which it is going to be served. Put approx a quarter of the icing in a freezer bag or in icing bag. Snip off corner and then pipe 1 to 2 cm circles all around the edge of the bottom cake. Pipe the rest inside the circles and then use up to another quarter of the icing to cover the rest of the cake. Gently place other sponge on top. Spread remaining icing over top. Pipe rosettes around edge if you have the necessary piping bags/nozzles.
- Belvoir has collaborated with Great British Bake Off finalist, Ian Cumming. The Belvoir Fruit Farms range comprises of 14 different cordial varieties and 19 different pressés both including organic and non-organic versions. For more information visit the website www.belvoirfruitfarms.co.uk.
- For more makes and bakes grab the latest copy of Yours.
If you're not keen on piping, simply spread the icing over the top of both cakes and sandwich together
Time: 25 minutes