- Make the pastry by sifting the flour into a large bowl. Add the butter and salt and rub in until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add approximately 5 tablespoons of ice cold water. Bring together to a ball of dough adding a little more water if necessary. Flatten into a circle and wrap in cling film. Chill for 15-20 minutes.
- Wash and grate the apple, including the skin. Put into a bowl and add the sultanas, raisins, cranberries, almonds, lemon zest, orange zest, mixed spice, whisky and melted butter. Mash the banana and add to the mincemeat.
- Roll out two thirds of the pastry and cut into medium sized circles using a pastry cutter. Line a 12 hole patty tin with the pastry. Place a spoonful of mincemeat into each pastry case. Roll out the rest of the pastry and cut into stars. Top each open pie with a star lid. Chill in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190?C/Fan oven 170?C/gas mark
- Bake in the centre of the preheated oven for 15-20.
- Cool slightly and remove carefully from the tin. Dust with icing sugar just before serving.
Recipe from The Edinburgh New Town Cookery School.
There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
Serve with a dollop of brandy butter for the ultimate taste of Christmas
For the pastry: 225g/8oz plain flour 140g/5oz butter, cut into cubes Pinch of salt For the mincemeat: 1 apple 85g/3oz sultanas 85g/3oz raisins 45g/1½ oz currants 85g/3oz dried cranberries 45g/1½ oz flaked almonds Grated zest of 1 lemon Grated zest ½ orange 1 ½ tsp mixed spice 2 tbsp whisky or brandy 55g/2oz melted butter 1 ripe banana Icing sugar to serve
Time: 50 minutes Serves: 6-8 Nutrition: n/a